What would “Throwback Thursday” be without a little reflection?
I found this picture of myself when I was about 6. My grandma Jessie took it of me. I never forgot she put me on this stereo cabinet (hey, it was the early 70’s) and told me not to tell my mom. I remember thinking how much I loved her in that moment and how I would not tell because it was our little secret. I think my face shows that too!
I started to think about all the things I would tell that innocent and sweet little girl so that her life would have been easier when she grew up? What would I tell my little me so that my life could have been so different now?
I realize what I would have told her, to make her life a little easier, I would not know if I had not had the experiences that I have had so far, yet “if” I could go back, this is what I would tell her:
- Don’t try to make everyone happy…not even your parents. You’re here for you. Make yourself happy; when you do that everyone else around you will either learn to be happy or not. If they don’t, it’s not because of you!
- Don’t be afraid. Sure there will be things that scare you, but always remember that no matter what happens, you will always be OK!
- If something does not feel right, it probably is not. Pay attention to what your body is telling you.
- People show you who they are, make sure you pay attention to that so that you don’t get yourself into a situation you can not get yourself out of years later.
- Believe in yourself. It REALLY does not matter what other people think about you. They have their own “stuff” and none of it has anything to do with you.
- Life can be complicated. It’s OK…It just is. Do the best you can and the complications will work themselves out.
- Don’t get confused about how you feel and how other people feel. Always check in with yourself and know what is yours and what is not yours. Its easy to get confused between the two. Own your stuff the the stuff of others.
- Don’t take other people “moods” personally. Everyone has their moments and again, non of it is about you.
- People are not always honest or have your best interest at heart. I’m sorry about that; I don’t want that to make you sad. Sure there are a lot of good people, but there are also a lot of people who don’t. It’s not because of you, it’s because they are who they are. Let them be who they are and focus on the good ones.
- You may want to believe that things are just as you are seeing and hearing them…please be open to knowing that just because you might want something to be one way…does not make it the way it is. Don’t be naive…be smart!
- Work hard; not because you want others to approve of you. Work hard because it is for you and you only.
- Make sure you get to know yourself. Be OK with who you are, even if it’s different from everyone else.
- You will make mistakes…it’s OK. We all do and it is how we make ourselves better for next time.
- Be nice to yourself. Don’t talk bad about how you look, ever. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!
- Yes, other people will make you feel bad…sometimes they will do it unpurpose to make themselves feel better. Just always remember, it’s more about them than you.
- Always try things that make you feel uncomfortable.
- Don’t compare yourself to others. You will want too. What you have is unlike ANY others so comparing yourself to others is a waste of your time and energy. Spend that time being grateful for what you do have not what you don’t.
- It’s OK to feel the way you feel, just don’t get stuck feeling one way or the other too long. Everything changes, even the way you feel. Don’t get too caught up in any of it.
- Nothing is personal even though it sure might feel like it. As long as you always know your truth you will be OK.
- It’s OK to love something so much it hurts…just don’t allow what you love to hurt you for too long that it takes away your joy.
- Don’t stay too long; and don’t leave to early. Pay attention to what is really going on not to the way you wish it was.
- No one knows what they want and you might not either. Its OK…in then end the only thing that will matter is that you had fun not knowing.
- Don’t be afraid to stand up for what you believe in. It’s not whether people like you or not, its about the difference you make while standing!
- Always smile because your smile will show other people your heart and your love. There will be those who don’t care about your smile…it’s OK, smile anyway because smiling is your truth.
- Speak up for others when they cant speak up for themselves
- Loving and losing is part of life. Don’t waste to much time on the lost part…you wont need it! Focus on what you had to love.
- Others might want what you have and try to steal or take away your light…it’s because they don’t feel like theirs is bright enough. You can share it, but NEVER give it away.
- It’s OK to love people as much as your heart can love; just don’t feel bad if they can’t love you back that much. It’s not because of you, it’s because they can’t.
- What you do does not define you…it’s only a part of you!
- If someone’s not being nice to you, leave. You don’t have anything to prove by staying. It just means you love yourself enough to take care of your heart. Someone, someday, will appreciate it as much as you do.
- Do what you love. Follow your heart. Listen to your passion. Work hard for what you want not for what others want for you. If you don’t know that’s OK too…you will figure it out. Don’t be hard on yourself for now knowing. It might seem like everyone knows something you don’t, maybe they do…maybe they don’t; non of that matters. Stay in your own cup. Listen to your heart and know that no matter where you go, what you do, how you do it, the only thing you can ever be, is loved. You know that, right? You are love. You come from love. You are always home and you are never and will never be alone.
- What you think matters, in the end won’t matter at all!
- Be good to yourself, have fun, smile, be love, be beautiful, shine bright and never ever forget who you are.
- Don’t cheat in typing class. You will need that more than you’ll ever know and it will make your life SO MUCH EASIER! 😉